Thursday, March 24, 2005

Dangerous Mind

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Today I entered the campus pub, ordered a pint of Guinness and sat down at a table to read a book of mine. It was around the lunch hour and the place was fairly crowded, but the background noise wasn't overly loud, so I was able to drown it out and focus on my reading--for about two minutes.

It was then that a guy and a girl sat down at the table directly beside me. The dude was pretty quiet, but the chick could not stop talking. I grimaced openly at their interruption and tried to continue reading, but it was no use. Their chatter made concentration impossible. I couldn't even move to another table, since they had seated themselves at the last available one!

Before long a guy got up from the table he was sitting at along the wall, and I quickly took the opportunity to relocate. This increased the distance between myself and the annoying girl from a matter of inches to about ten feet. Picking up my book yet again, I flipped to the page I had bookmarked and tried to resume.

"So then I was like, oh my God!" said the girl in her shrill, annoying voice. "Like, I totally did not expect such a low mark on my mid-term! Like, I studied and studied, and I even went to the see the prof about it, but he wouldn't let me re-write it, which I think is like, totally unfair!"

Fuck, I wish she'd shut the hell up! I thought to myself, shutting my book in defeat and reaching for my pint.

Just then there was a loud crash. I turned around, along with everyone else in the place, and observed that the mouthy girl was now on the floor, lying flat on her back. She then squirmed about and tried to quickly stand up, but got some help from the guy she was sitting with.

"Shit, are you okay?" he asked, pulling her by the arm to her feet.

Red with embarrassment, the girl only responded with an awkward smile as she adjusted her hair. The manager of the bar quickly jogged to their table to see what was the matter, picking up the wooden chair the girl had been sitting in. As he held it in the air for inspection, one of the legs dangled from a few splinters.

The girl couldn't have weighed more than 110 pounds, and was actually eating what looked to be a healthy salad when that leg snapped, sending her ass to the ground. But what was most incredible was the fact that the girl actually did shut up afterwards! I instantly realized that it had been my angry thoughts that broke the chair leg.

Normally I'd have used such an opportunity to return to my reading, but I just couldn't seem to keep from fantasizing about all the other things I would do with my newly discoverd telekinetic abilities.

3 Comments:

Blogger henri Banks said...

Wino this pic of yours is Real Cooool
(and funny to)

3:48 PM  
Blogger aaron said...

Nice blog.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Wino McHackenpuke said...

Tubbyman, I'd happily read in the library more often if they would just allow me to drink booze while I'm there! This, however, is not allowed; so, like many of the other students--whom I didn't bother to describe--I head to the ol' watering hole in order to go about my studies in a more leisurely manner.

The bar is never going to be as quiet as the library, and I'm acceptant of that. Knives and forks clink on people's plates, the radio plays, and people converse with one another ... but every now and then you encounter someone who's a little too loud and abnoxious--people just like "busted chair girl," who got what she had coming.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home