Saturday, August 27, 2005

Straight Razors

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A new hobby I've recently started is collecting and shaving with straight razors. I've always been fond of vintage items, and these things can be found at just about any antique store, rummage sale or estate auction for reasonable prices. I'd say the average blade might run you five to ten dollars. I have always liked the look of these sorts of razors, but it wasn't until I saw a brand new one in a knife store about a month ago that I said to myself, "Hey, this is something I could actually get into!"

Most males--myself included--have a innate attraction to sharp, menacing objects. For me it all started at a young age when, after watching shows like He-Man I decided that the sword was the absolute coolest weapon. I knew, of course, that I'd never be allowed to own a real one (just the plastic swords I still have in a box somewhere), so, when I lay on my pillow at night as a youngster, I would tell my brain using some sort of childish mantra that anything was possible in my dreams, and once there, getting a sword would be as easy as wishing for it. And it really worked! I managed to teach myself lucid dreaming at the age of five or six, not knowing that such a thing existed.

Next came a love of knives, which I realized were far more accessible (and concealable). My grandmother, who also gave me my first pellet rifle at the tender age of six, bought me my first knife at Canadian Tire (which is a national hardware store chain here). It was a folding, lock-blade knife with maybe a 2" blade. It came with a little leather carrying case and cost around four or five dollars. My little brother got one too. That was a great day. Having that knife made me feel as though I was ready for anything. I can remember cutting leaves from the trees and carving my initials in stuff when I got home. My mom wasn't too pleased when she found out what we got, but her nerves calmed over time.

As the years passed I acquired the ever-popular swiss army knives, hunting knives and even throwing knives. At one point I owned a nice switch blade (which I bought for twenty dollars from Argus) and even a butterfly knife. This was during high school, though, so for some reason I foolishly decided to trade or sell the switchblade. The butterfly knife was stolen, I believe.

But back to the straight razors. And while I'm throwing history your way, I'll mention that the first safety razor came into existence in 1895, and from then on in shaving became progressively pansy-assed. Yes, I own a couple of Gillette safety razors (the standard two-bladed models - not those gimmicky, over-priced 'Mach-3' things), and they've served me reasonably well; but I'm leaving them behind for the straight razor. Why? Well, there a number of reasons:

For starters, it's just plain fun to do things that are a little out of the ordinary. These things are from a bygone era, and using one is like travelling back in time or something. Prior to the safety razor's existence, anyone who wanted to be rid of body hair had to use one of these potentially deadly instruments to do it. Wanna feel like a cowboy or a mobster? Then put one of these edges to your face.

Also, they do a damn good job! If used properly, you won't have to shave for a couple of days. Another thing that's appealing to me is the fact that there's a learning curve that requires dedication and patience. You can't do a rush job with one of these suckers as a novice shaver every morning or you'll slice an ear or lip off. Research and practice is required. I've been reading up on these things for weeks now and I've yet to put one to my face. I even went to talk to a barber who collects them himself. He said that when he went to school for his trade, they'd make the students practice by removing shaving cream from inflated balloons.

Another thing I like is the "freak out potential" straight razors have. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to display these things above or on my bathroom sink, so when someone visits they'll almost certainly say, "What the fuck are those for?!" And I'll say, "for shaving, of course." I also like how it's a distictly masculine activity. What's more hardcore than shaving your face with something that can literally slice it right off just as easily? Not much.

So far I've got five straight razors. The first I ordered from a guy in Ohio who is a straight razor user and collector in his own right. It arrived yesterday and it's as sharp as can be. I also purchased two others that I found in antique shops. Both are from the "Wade and Butcher" company, Sheffield, England. Sheffield is known the world over for its steel manufacturing, and next to Solingen, Germany, they're pretty much the best, from what I've read. My mom also picked up a couple for me at an antique store the other day for five dollars each. (Yes, she went from fearing for her little boy's fondness for pocket knifes to actually supplying razors he can put to his throat. Strange.) Oddly enough, it's my dad who is the most concerned. He thinks I'm crazy for wanting to attempt this and is convinced I will slit my throat. But hey, he's been right before! That's a pretty badass way of killing yourself, anyway, don't you think?

In any event, aside from shaving my arm hair for practice, I've yet to do much with these razors. But the time draws near. A little more research and a little more shopping will soon see me to the bathroom mirror where I will test my metal. Wish me luck.

And guys: give it a try. It's a ritualistic activity you'll be sure to enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Good to see you're blogging again, Wino. I've wanted to shave with a straight razor ever since Crocodile Dundee did it with that monstrous knife.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home