Monday, August 29, 2005

The Eve of Boredom

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's currently 12:30am, and in five and half hours or so I'm going to get up, shower and make my way to the bus stop. The commute to work is roughly an hour. I feel out of place on the bus, because everyone has one of those stainless steel coffee mugs but me. Oh, and I say "work," but I don't have to do any, really. I'm now beginning week two at this company, and I'll be continuing my training for its duration. I have to listen to an overly peppy guy talk about company loyalty and how we shouldn't abuse our sick leave for eight or nine hours.

The people I'm going to be working with are odd. On Friday I was out in the smoking section during the lunch "hour" when I realized that I had left my electronic ID card thingy at home that morning.

"Excuse me," I politely said to a middle-aged woman. "Would you mind buzzing me in? I forgot my badge, and---"

"--You have to go around to the front of the building and see security--I can't let you in."

"Oh, come on," I pleaded. "I'm just out here for--"

"You have to go around front!"

At this point a guy from my training group (whom I should have asked to open the door for me in the first place) stepped in to say that he could vouch for me, and that I did work there. The woman just continued smoking and shook her head. Bitch. I was a little late to be going back in as it was, but walking to the other side of the building was going to make it worse. I muttered a "Thanks a lot" and headed to see security.

So I get there and I explain that I had left my badge at home and reached out for one of the temporary ones they give to employees in these situations. But no, they were "out" of those! "Sign here," said the female security guard, sliding me a binder. Hey, that's even easier, I reasoned, quickly scribbling handwriting I didn't recognize as my own. I then went to go upstairs, but she held up a hand and said that I'd have to wait for my trainer to sign me in also! Dammit! I was hoping to sneak back into the room unnoticed (where he was sure to be "teaching" by that point), but now he was going to be summoned downstairs to let me in.

A minute or two later he emerged from the stair well, walking briskly. As peppy as the guy normally is, I could read the annoyance on his face. I even attempted an "Aw shucks" smile and shrug of apology, but he didn't say a word. Way to climb the ladder, Wino! Ha!

I don't even care, though. In a few hours when I find myself in that building again (with the pass, I hope), I know I'll be very bored. "Well, at least there's probably a few hotties in the class to gawk at, eh Wino?" Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't you? All obese.

I just realized that if I'm going to be cutting up co-workers, blogging at work is going to become pretty difficult. All it would take would be one like-minded person (whom I've yet to find) that I'd feel comfortable sharing this garbage with. For shits and giggles, and what not. And then pretty soon the address would be passed around. On second thought, what do I care? It'd make for some good topics, I imagine.

"Found dead muskrat on desk today."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home